Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Candy Basket

At one point when I was young, I started “collecting” candy, and would keep it in a basket in my room.  I would grab pieces of candy from any random place that it was available to me-the bank, a doctor’s office, or a friend who offered me some.  But I wouldn’t eat it.  I would save it for the basket in my room.  Until one day, the basket was full.  I realized that I had reached my goal of having a full basket of candy, and I was very proud of it!  I would eagerly show this basket to friends who came by or I would taunt my brother with it, but I would never let anyone have any of the candy.  No one was allowed to even have one piece from the basket.  When my friends would ask for a piece, I would say something like, “No, I want to keep the basket full.”   On occasion, I would allow myself to have a piece, but I wouldn’t eat too much because I didn’t want to diminish the supply of candy that I had worked so hard to collect.  Weeks went by and the proud feeling that I had about my accomplishment slowly diminished.  One day I realized that no one really cared about my basket of candy.  And the reality was that there was no way I would be able to eat it all, so a lot of it would probably go to waste.  I had no one to share it with.  I realized the pleasure that I thought I would have by saving all this candy for myself was only temporary.  I have no idea what ended up happening to all that candy.  I am sure that I ate some, but most of it probably ended up in the garbage. 

God reminded me of this story recently.  He reminded me of the many blessings He has poured into my life.  How He has given me more than I need.  How He has been so gracious to fill up my “basket” with all of His sweet abundance.  But what am I doing with it?  Am I keeping it to myself or am I sharing His blessings with others?  Am I content to just receive His goodness or do I look for opportunities to pass it on?  He reminded me that sometimes I still act like that little girl, happy to take all the goodness that He is willing to give me, but reluctant to share with others.  And I am reminded that, not much unlike my full candy basket, His goodness is MEANT to be shared.  It’s not just for me.  If I keep it to myself, I’m the one who misses out.  The joy that He intends for me to experience is diminished.  So, as I think about this silly little story, I am reminded to empty my “basket” as often as I can, with an eager attitude, knowing that my basket will never really be empty.  I am reminded that God wants me to give to others like He has given to me.  I am reminded that sharing God’s abundance and blessings with others means that I can experience true joy, and He can be glorified.  
    


No comments:

Post a Comment