Sunday, March 13, 2011

Top Six

As I think about how my life will change in just 3 short weeks, I can’t help but think about all the things I am looking forward to with having a little girl.  So, I thought I would share my “top six” list!  Here it is in no particular order:
1.       The big brother-little sister dynamic:  I think it is so neat to see older brothers with their younger sisters.  There is something about that relationship that seems so endearing, and I look forward to seeing how Judah looks after his little sister and how she looks up to him.  I hope to teach Judah that God has given him the privilege of being a big brother to his little sister, and part of being a big brother is taking care of her and protecting her.  I hope to teach our little girl that God has given her an extra measure of love and protection through her big brother and that he, not only watches out for her, but is also someone that she can talk to when she needs a listening ear.  I know this won’t be reality at all times, but I hope to teach them to genuinely love one another as they grow in their relationship.   

2.       Playing with girl stuff:  Now, I’m not complaining one bit about playing with balls, cars, and trucks, but let’s face it-I’m a girl!  I have fond memories of playing with dolls, dress-up clothes, play jewelry, beads, etc., and I look forward to playing all these things with my little girl!

3.       Pink, pink, pink:  Really, is there anything else I can say about this?

4.       Bows and dresses:  Yet another advantage to having a girl would be the dress-up aspect.  I have had lots of fun dressing up Judah, but there are many more options with a girl.  You have your dresses, bows, headbands, tights, and leggings, not to mention the plethora of shoes….but I digress.  

5.       The mother-daughter relationship:  I think every daughter knows how unique and special her relationship is with her mother.  I have been blessed to have a wonderful mother, and I have been on the receiving end of that relationship for 32 years!  Now, I will have the privilege of developing this special relationship with a daughter of my own.  I consider this a huge blessing, and I look forward to lots of shopping sprees (within budget, of course), painting nails, late night heart-to-heart talks, and relating to another girl in the house.   
  
6.       Being a role model:  I think this is more daunting for me at this point, but it is a responsibility that I know I have, especially as a mother to a daughter.  I will be the one she looks to when shaping her view of what a mother is, how a Christian woman lives, and how a wife should relate to her husband.  This is an area that I need to trust God with daily, since I know that I cannot be a perfect role model, and I will have many (and I repeat many) moments where I fail.  That being said, I consider this an honor, and I look forward to how God shapes her and me during the process.      

No comments:

Post a Comment