Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Happy Birthday, Asher Thomas!

Our little boy, Asher Thomas Rowe, was born on July 3rd at 1:01 p.m. weighing 8 pounds 6 ounces and 21 inches long!  Asher means happy or blessing/blessed and that is exactly how we felt upon finding out that we were adding another child to our family. :)  Thomas is (one of) Eric's middle names, which is after his mother's side of the family.   

Labor did not go as I had hoped, but everything turned out well.  I had a fever and the baby's heart rate was high.  The doctor did not want a prolonged labor with those factors, so he broke my water at 8:30 and Pitocin was started.  Things moved quickly and our little big boy was born 4 1/2 hours later.  Certain aspects of this labor were more challenging than my previous two, but I am grateful that things went well overall. 

Heading to the hospital at 41 weeks



Meeting Asher for the first time



Big boy


Glad it's over :)


One thing I like to do is bring a couple pieces of scrapbook paper and have then put our kids' footprints on them.  I have a keepsake box that I keep them in.


First bath

Scrub-a-dub-dub
 




 
Within the first 6 hours after birth, Asher had three "dusky spells" where his oxygen levels dropped dangerously.  We first noticed it when he started turning a purple-ish color.  They took him to the nursery to be monitored, and he had two more of these "spells".  He was able to recover from these spells on his own, without assistance, but it was still of concern, especially since I had a fever during delivery.  They ran labs to check him for a bacterial infection and admitted him to the nicu where his breathing could be monitored and he could be treated with antibiotics through an IV.  We were told that he would need to be in the nicu for 48 hours for the antibiotic treatment as well as the lab results (which take 48 hours). 

The hospital and the staff were so great, and I was able to nurse him and visit whenever of course.  They decided to keep him until Sat morning, but I was released Friday morning.  The hospital let me stay in my hospital room overnight for an extra night since they were not busy so that I wouldn't have to leave him.  Lab results all came back negative, so he was fine-he was just having some transitional breathing glitches that first day (which can happen), but they needed to act cautiously considering all the factors.  Praise God for a healthy baby boy.

I love to get pictures of little baby parts.  Asher had cardiac and respiratory monitors attached to him.  The foot monitor is supposed to monitor the amount of oxygen in the blood. 




 
Poor baby's IV
 
VISITORS

Eden LOVED holding him






Grammie and Grandad Hardinge


Grandma Rowe

 
The kids visited the next night since mommy was still hanging out at the hospital


THE BABE
 



 

Going home!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment