Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Hiding Place

I decided to write a brief review and thoughts on some of the books I choose to read for 2011.  I thought that this would be good accountability for me to actually write about what I am learning as I read, and I also thought that it couldn’t hurt to share these books with others in the event that they are looking for a good book, too (for all five of you who read this blog). :)  So, I am happy to report that I have actually finished my first book of the year!  I don’t expect to keep up this pace, but I just couldn’t put this one down!




I would categorize this book as an inspirational biography, and I consider this book a must-read for any Christian at any stage in their walk of faith.  In a nutshell, this is a retelling of Corrie ten Boom’s life and experience, specifically during the Holocaust in the late 1930s and early 1940s.  This book, for me, was about God’s faithfulness to His people during a one of the biggest times of tragedy and darkness this world has seen.  It gave me a fresh and new perspective on trusting God, His bigger unseen plan, remaining faithful to Him in even the darkest of times, and His power to help one love when love is not possible.  It challenged my faith on a very real level.  Do I believe that God is bigger than anything?  Would I seek to obey Him in any and all circumstances?  Would I believe His way is better even when all common sense would say otherwise?  Would I trust Him to help me love my persecutors and see them as He sees them?  These were just some of the questions and challenges that I experienced while reading this book.  And through these, I was reminded in a new way that God’s light shines brightest in the darkest of circumstances. 
Excerpt:
"Love.  How did one show it?  How could God Himself show truth and love at the same time in a world like this?  By dying.  The answer stood out for me sharper and chillier than it ever had before that night: the shape of a Cross etched on the history of the world."
-Corrie ten Boom

No comments:

Post a Comment