Monday, January 17, 2011

Don't Make Me Count To Three!

So, I have officially finished my second book of 2011….I’m on a roll! 



I would categorize this as an instructional parenting book from a Biblical perspective.  I am in NO WAY an expert on this topic, but out of the handful of Christian parenting books I have read, this would be at the top of the list.  I would say that this book is one of the more comprehensive as well as practical books I have come across so far. I always find that I am left with more questions after I read a book like this, but, in my opinion, this book does a fantastic job presenting both Biblical foundations for parenting as well as practical ways to go about applying those principles in everyday life with your children. 
Ginger Plowman makes some wonderful points about parenting your child’s heart, not merely their actions.  She comes from the (Biblical) perspective that all behaviors are linked to a particular attitude of the heart and, “when you help your child to understand what is in his heart, you are teaching him to evaluate his own motives, which will help to quip him for his walk with Christ as he grows into an adult.” (p. 36)  She also touches on topics such as developing “heart probing skills”, how to give “Biblical reproof”, managing a manipulative child, guidelines for discipline, using the “put off” and “put on” principle when training your child, and more.  I would highly recommend this book to any Christian parent who has a desire to learn more about reaching the heart of their child through correction and discipline.  This is a book that I will definitely have to read a couple (or few) more times to really get (and remember) the information and practical tips, but I don’t mind-I need all the help I can get!
Excerpt:
“…God has entrusted us to prepare the hearts of our children for the Savior.  We are tools used by God to whittle away the calluses of the heart, keeping the heart tender and inclined to obedience.  When we call our children to obey us we are preparing them to obey Jesus, which is our ultimate goal.” (p. 75)
-Ginger Plowman            

4 comments:

  1. I have read this one too...I thought that it was a great book and I agree, I really should revisit it bc there was so much to it. It reminded me a lot of what I am learning in Entrusted too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are a lot of similar principles....good stuff! I will definately have to come back to this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow....you did finish the book very quickly. great insight. i will have to add it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I kind of surprised myself. :) I guess it is good for me to see what I can accomplish when I am not watching as much tv...haha!

    ReplyDelete