Monday, March 5, 2012

Moss Wreath Tutorial


So, I have been feeling crafty lately...what with all the fun tutorial blogs and pinterest, of course.  But, really one of the only crafty projects that I have actually attempted is a moss wreath (at least that's a start, right?).  There are many moss wreath tutorials out there and the reality is that it is not that hard to make one, so the point of me posting pictures of my process is...well, just for fun, I guess.  I like taking pictures and I liked making the wreath, so I am sharing both with you. :)  I really liked how it turned out and I had fun actually making something with my own two hands.  I don't pretend to be the craftiest person around, so if I can do it, so can you.

The supply list is super short.  A hot glue gun, glue sticks (you will need lots and lots of these), moss, and a wreath. 


Now, some people might use a styrofoam wreath which is the most uniform, but I chose to use a straw wreath because I liked the size choices better.  I found that the straw wreath has the potential to be a little more "lumpy" because of the straw, but once the moss is on, it will look great and none of that will matter.  There are also different types of moss.  For this project, I chose this type (below), which I got from Hobby Lobby.  It has a type of mesh backing which makes it super easy to work with because it stays together pretty well and it is easy to cut.  One bag should be fine for a smaller wreath.



There are many ideas on the best ways to apply the moss to the wreath, but I just cut the moss into thicker strips and glued each strip around the wreath.  During this process, I totally forgot to take pictures so sorry about that one. :)  I think I was really into getting the wreath done.  Once you glue some strips around the wreath, you will notice you have lots of patches where the straw wreath is not covered with the moss (yet).  Don't worry about that.  I went back and filled those in with leftover pieces of moss. 






So, I first went around the wreath and glued all  my thick strips around it, then I went back and filled in all the empty patches with the leftover moss.  You can do it however suits you, though-there is no "right" way.  Once you are done, it should look something like this...ta da!


To dress it up a litte bit, I made some felt flowers (maybe another tutorial for another day, but they are super easy).  I hot glued the cluster of flowers together first and then attached them to the wreath with T Pins, so I have the option of taking them off at some point and using some other decorative accent if I want to.  But you can just attach a ribbon bow or even just leave it plain and it would still be a beautiful accent. 



And voila!


This one is hanging in my kitched, but I made a bigger verson for our front door, too!


Next up.....a yarn wreath.....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment