Friday, September 30, 2011

Dedication

This past week, we dedicated Eden to the Lord at our church.  I was actually thinking a bit about why we do something like this and why it is a significant event as parents.  First of all, dedication is a committment.  Our committment is to raise Eden in the ways of the Lord, which is no small task.  It's not something that is easy or something that comes naturally.  It's something that only God can help us do, and part of us dedicating Eden is admitting that we can't do this on our own.  I think this is an important piece that can sometimes be overlooked.  I can have great intentions and desires, but they will fall short apart from the supernatural power of God.  So, for me, dedicating Eden was a reminder of how much I need the Lord.  I need his power in my life, and I need his Word to guide me. 

Secondly, dedication is public.  This is important to me because it means that I am part of a community, a body.  There are people in our lives that care about us, love us, and want to encourage us as we parent our children.  This is invaluable.  Parenting is a hard work, and we need people to strengthen us (in the Lord) along the way. 

Eden means "delight".  When we pick out verses for our kids, we like to pick a verse that coordinates with the meaning of their name as well as something that we desire for them.  Our specific desire for Eden is that she becomes a woman who delights in the God's Word.  We want her to love what God has to say.  We want her to observe the benefits of obeying God and, as a result, be compelled to follow Him wholeheartedly.  We were reminded of the Psalmist, David, who had a correct view of who God is and expressed a genuine love for God's law.  The verse we chose for Eden is Psalm 119: 34&35-"Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.  Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it." 


 

  

1 comment:

  1. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Fantastic work!
    mourn memories

    ReplyDelete